Share This Page


"We used Paul to help us organise a wedding in Ronda for my English daughter and Scottish son-in-law. It was a very tricky matter, because it is not normal for foreigners to marry in the town. Nevertheless, we persevered and Paul did all the interpreting, talking to officials and making phone calls on our behalf. Needless to say, the wedding went perfectly, with a large part of the thanks going to Paul."
Mary Jackson, Colwyn Bay, Wales, May 2006

Getting your UK-registered car MOT’d in Spain PDF
Samstag, den 28. August 2010 um 00:00 Uhr

There is a lot of uncertainty about what to do if you have a UK-registered car here in Spain and the MOT runs out.

When I found myself in this very situation earlier this month, friends here told me it wasn’t a problem – I could either get an English MOT done in Gibraltar or a Spanish ITV on the mainland.  To me the former seemed the most likely; the latter, frankly, less so.

Well, surprise, surprise, the opposite is the case!

Having carried out extensive research on the world wide web, I was left even more confused.  Several websites said both these options were unavailable,  and it looked like I had only two legal solutions to the problem: either ship the vehicle back to the UK at huge cost and get an MOT in, say, Dover, or re-register the vehicle here – also not cheap – for which you first need a Spanish ITV.

Well, after further investigation I can absolutely 100% confirm that you CANNOT get a Gibraltar MOT on a UK-registered car, but you CAN get an ITV.  I know, because I went to the local ITV test centre the other day and asked.  It’s called una ITV voluntaria and I have an appointment in a couple of weeks to get it done.

But, remember, you can only legally keep your UK vehicle here for six months at a time, without removing it, at least temporarily, from Spain.

Check also that your insurance policy covers you while you have the car here.  Many policies limit cover to only 30 or 60 days at a time.

If your MOT runs out, it is illegal to drive the vehicle and your insurance would probably be invalidated.

And don’t forget you need to carry all relevant documents in the car, eg “logbook”, MOT/ITV certificate (if applicable), insurance certificate and proof that the premium has been paid.  Also both parts of your driving licence.

Many drivers prefer to carry photocopies of all of these documents and leave the originals safely at home.  However, whether copies are acceptable to the police here is not clear.

Happy motoring!

© Paul Whitelock 



Paul Whitelock

Paul WhitelockPaul hat einen Bachelor in Spanisch und Deutsch (BSc) von der Universität Salford in Manchester, England. Er hat auch ein Postgraduate Certificate of Education (PH-Training) und ein Diplom vom Institute of Linguists (MIL).