Share This Page


"We used Paul to help us organise a wedding in Ronda for my English daughter and Scottish son-in-law. It was a very tricky matter, because it is not normal for foreigners to marry in the town. Nevertheless, we persevered and Paul did all the interpreting, talking to officials and making phone calls on our behalf. Needless to say, the wedding went perfectly, with a large part of the thanks going to Paul."
Mary Jackson, Colwyn Bay, Wales, May 2006

How to get a Spanish Health Card PDF
Samstag, den 16. Oktober 2010 um 00:00 Uhr

One issue that concerns many of us who have moved to live in Spain from the European Union is health care. It can be very confusing, with conflicting advice on websites, forums and even from health and social security officials.

So how do you get a tarjeta sanitaria?

If you are in receipt of a state pension from your home country within the EU, all you have to do is fill in a E121 form and register it with the Spanish authorities.

But what if you are younger than state pension age?

Well, I got the definitive answer this week when I was at the Tesorería Nacional helping a non-Spanish-speaking friend to get her número de seguridad social, or social security number, so that she can get a Spanish health card, and the nice man explained it all very clearly, as follows. 

There are three ways of getting a health card in Spain:

  1. By paying into the system via seguridad social ie if you are working here.
  2. Through a family member who already has a card, eg wife/husband or pareja sentimental, ie common-law spouse/live-in partner.
  3. By being unemployed and having no income.

Other than that you would need to arrange private health care, which I hope to write about on another occasion.

©  Paul Whitelock

See also:

A1 SpanishLife: Health

Tags: European Union, health care, state pension, E121 form, Paul Whitelock, tarjeta sanitaria, Tesorería Nacional, número de seguridad social, social security number, Spanish health card, health card, pareja sentimental,  seguridad social, private health care,


Kommentar schreiben


Paul Whitelock

Paul WhitelockPaul hat einen Bachelor in Spanisch und Deutsch (BSc) von der Universität Salford in Manchester, England. Er hat auch ein Postgraduate Certificate of Education (PH-Training) und ein Diplom vom Institute of Linguists (MIL).