Share This Page

Latest Comments

Client Testimonials

“Paul did an excellent piece of work in translating my business’s website into German. The service was good value, had a speedy turnaround and at all times Paul’s translation was thoughtful and intelligent, suggesting improvements not only to the German version but also to the original English. Many thanks! I would definitely recommend Paul / A1 Language Services for any translation work.”
Catherine Potter, Joint Proprietor, Bambú Holiday Resort, Benamocarra (Málaga), December 2009

Reporting a theft PDF
Saturday, 04 February 2012 20:00

If you are the victim of a theft in Spain, do you know what to do?  First of all cancel any stolen debit or credit cards with your bank immediately. Secondly, insurance companies require you to obtain a police report, but you should report the incident in any case, whether you intend to make a claim or not. So what do you need to do?

Which of the three police forces do you contact? Policía Local, Nacional or Guardia Civil?

Crimes must be reported to the Policía Nacional and a denuncia (statement/report) must be made and signed as soon as possible.  But is this easier said than done?

Where is the nearest comisaría, or police station, located? Even large towns usually only have one. 

And do you speak Spanish well enough to deal with it?

If you do, or have someone who can, get to the local comisaría as soon as you can. Don’t bother to ring the emergency number, as that is for a call centre in Madrid and they are unlikely to send any officers along unless an assault has taken place.

If you don’t speak Spanish well enough, ring 902 102 112, where they have foreign language speakers and you can make a telephone report in English.This is called a denuncia telefónica.

You’ll need to give all details of the theft, ie location, time, circumstances, witnesses. Plus they will ask for your full name, place and date of birth, nationality, parents’ names, NIE, address, contact telephone number and a list of money and other items lost and their value. The officer will give you a reference number, which you then take to a police station of your choosing within two days. There you can correct any errors or omissions in the report and sign the three copies, of which you will be given one.

If you have lost documents, eg passport or driving licence, carry a photocopy of the denuncia with you until you get the lost documents replaced, should you be stopped by police and asked for ID.

And next time, easy to say, but be more careful!

© Paul Whitelock

Related article:

Spanish Police

Tags: theft, reporting theft, insurance, debit card, credit card, police report, denuncia, statement, Policía Local, Policía Nacional, Guardia Civil, comisaría, 902 102 112, denuncia telefónica, passport, driving licence, paul whitelock, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ,,,



+1 #3 2012-02-05 13:31
That's bad news re Rita's purse. It's a pain getting bank cards, driving licences etc replaced :-( You really need to keep your wits about you at La Canada. Have heard numerous stories of theft - in the stores and the sprawling car parks.
0 #2 2012-02-04 22:24
Yes, we were impressed too. What prompted my article is that Rita had her purse pinched yesterday at La Canada in Marbella and I used the 902 102 112 number to report it. We went to the Ronda cop shop to check and sign the denuncia last night. Srtaightforward .
+1 #1 2012-02-04 20:46
We've used the denuncia telefónica service on 902 102 112 - and it was very efficient once we eventually got through to it. Our problem was one of our Spanish bank cards had been cloned In the time it took us to drive from Marbella to Ronda (50 mins +/-) the report was ready at the National Police offices in Ronda. A few more details were asked of us, we gave them the answers and the report amended accordingly. Very impressive, efficient service!

Paul Whitelock

Paul is a Joint Honours graduate in Spanish and German, a qualified teacher (PGCE) and has a Member of the Institute of Linguists (MIL) qualification.

read more